Thursday, August 4, 2011

Avocado Corn Chowder with Chicken

Remember this post, my summer to-do list? Well with the dinner I made tonight I think I can officially cross #10 off the list. I know I have a winner when Drew tells me I should make it again. It is adapted from Cooking Light but I made a few modifications. This would also be a perfect appetizer served withs a mexican or southwestern main course.

Avocado Corn Chowder with Chicken

2 ripe avocados
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 chicken tenders {or 2 full breasts}
1 clove garlic
2 ears fresh corn {husks left on}
1 large red bell pepper
1/2 cup cilantro
lime wedges

1. Peel and coarsely chop the avocados. Place in a blender. Add water, orange juice, honey, salt, pepper, and cilantro until combined.

2. Heat BBQ or grill pan over medium-high heat. BBQ chicken until done {approx. 3 min. on each side}. Place corn {with husks on} and bell pepper on BBQ and cook until corn husk is black and bell pepper is charred {approx. 9-10 min}. Remove from heat.

3. Remove corn husk and cut corn off the cob. Add to avocado mixture.

4. While running bell pepper under cold water peel skin off of pepper, remove seeds and white membrane inside and chop into 1/2 inch pieces. Add to avocado mixture.

5. Shred chicken and set aside.

6. Spoon chowder into bowls; top with chicken. Garnish with cilantro and fresh lime wedges.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...