Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Baby Food Price Comparison

Let me start this post by admitting I was planning on making all my own {organic of course} baby food for Miss Morgan. Well, when the time came I made some carrots and I just wasn't that into it. It took more time than I thought, required cooking, blending, freezing, making sure it wasn't too thin or too chunky, etc... I love to cook but found out that baby food isn't all that exciting to make. So I went and bought some Gerber Organics baby food at Target, and didn't feel one bit guilty that I wasn't making it. I knew it was made with all organic ingredients, some included DHA {which I couldn't put in my own} and other vitamins that would only be beneficial to her growing little body.

I was surprised at how much the prices fluctuated, which got me thinking I should do some research on what brand was the cheapest because let's face it, how much could the taste fluctuate from brand to brand {prunes are prunes, right}?

First, I narrowed my search to stage 2 {mostly 4 oz jars} and only organic. Second, these are the standard prices, if you can find one's on sale there is a good chance that will be the better deal.

Here is what I found {prices are per oz.}:

Diapers.com Target Amazon Babies R Us
Plum Organics 0.33 0.33 0.30 0.31
Earth's Best 0.23 0.19 0.19 0.20
Happy Baby 0.36 0.25 0.29 0.00
Sprout 0.36 0.00 0.40 0.37
Gerber 0.23 0.23 0.20 0.25

If the price is $0.00, that store didn't cary that brand.

So the winner appears to be Earth's Best, from Amazon. Amazon had good prices all around and if you subscribe and save, you will get them even cheaper. I have a Prime account {thanks to Amazon Mom, you should check it out if you haven't already}, which gives me free 2 day shipping and the items are tax free {which I know will probably not last that much longer}.

So there you go, baby food cost 101. And if you are one of those mom's that is motivated to make your own, more power to you!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...