Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Burlap Monogram {tutorial}

I had WAY too much burlap left over from when I did my burlap wrapped votives. I had no idea what to do with the left over fabric. Of course, I immediately searched "burlap" on Pinterest and was inspired by this photo:




Using the picture above as inspiration I made my own version. Here is how it turned out:


It was really quite simple to do. Here is what you'll need:
1. Printed letter of your choice in whichever font you wish
2. piece of card board for back, I used the lid of a shoe box which worked particularly well and gave it a little more depth than just a flat piece of cardboard
3. stapler
4. quilt batting cut about 3 inches larger than cardboard {on all sides}
5. burlap cut about 3 inches larger than cardboard {on all sides}
6. sharpie marker


Step 1: Staple batting around cardboard. I did two layers as my cardboard was hot pink and I didn't want any of that to come through but if yours is brown you should be good with one layer.
Step 2: Place printed monogram under burlap and trace along the outside of your printed letter. Make sure to center up the letter on the burlap so you have enough to wrap the burlap around your cardboard. You can measure or just eye-ball it.


Step 3: Color in the monogram with your marker. I went over it a couple of times to make sure it was nice and dark.
Step 4: Center and staple the burlap to your cardboard.
And your done!
This is seen on the Link Party at 320 Sycamore, projects under $10 in under 1 hour. See what other people have posted here.

This is also linked at A Little Tipsy: DIY under $5. Check it out here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from 320 Sycamore... Love this idea. So cute and simple, and it turned out great! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Melissa said...

Don't you love Pinterest? It's the number one place I search now if I need to find anything crafty or home related. This is so simple, but lovely. Thank you for sharing!!

Life With Lucy said...

Your burlap monogram turned out so great, and I love the whole piece of furniture you have it on too. Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial! Yours is just as "pin" worthy :)

Unknown said...

It looks so chic and I love that you used a shoebox lid! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...