Thursday, October 20, 2011

My 1st attempt at chalk paint

I have been wanting to paint a side table in my family room for a VERY long time. It had a nice lacquer finish that was saying "sand me". And it was the sanding that was keeping me from wanting to paint. And then yesterday, while reading my friend Brittany's blog, I was informed of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint {apparently ASCP for the hip folk}. So I googled and searched and soon knew this was going to be my paint solution. 

I searched some more and on her website there was a list of stockists and one happen to be not too far from my house. So the little one and I drove down and bought what we needed. It also helped that the lady in the shop had used the paint numerous times and had examples of many of the colors in her shop. She gave me pointers on how to do it and I left feeling confident. You can visit Truly Tattered's blog here


The goods:

1) Clear Soft Wax
2) Chalk Paint in Paris Grey
3) Dark Soft Wax
4) Two brushes

**Note this paint is not cheap, it was $130 when I walked out the door. But from what I've read it is worth it and after completing the project I would definitely agree. 



The before:



The After:

Yes there is a baby gate in the background and a baby book on the table. Welcome to my life. 


A few things to note:

1) You use very little paint. I did two coats of the Paris Grey and I used about a 1/2 inch of paint in the can. 

2) You have to work quickly with the wax. I would paint some on a small area with a brush and wipe it right after with an old t-shirt rag. 

3) I was initially afraid of the Dark Wax, and after using it on a spot I knew wouldn't get too much attention I gained confidence and learned it was actually quite easy to use. 

4) There are endless options of what your finished project could look like. No dark wax, lots of dark wax, mixing colors, etc... the options are endless. 

5) It dries very quickly. I only had nap time to complete this project and I can say from start to finish it took me approx. 2 hours. 

6) They were right, no sanding or priming necessary. Which to me made it worth every penny!

Now to that book case I need to paint....



I've linked this to Miss Mustard Seeds Furniture Friday. See her blog here:


Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog

And others great furniture posts here:


Furniture Feature Fridays

1 comment:

A Vintage Vine said...

Great table! Love the look of chalk paint you made a great choice in color!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...