Friday, October 7, 2011

My 1st experience with a CSA

Our friends are part of a CSA {community sponsored agriculture} program. They were out of town this week and asked if we wanted their weekly box. I was so excited. I've researched different CSAs in the area and always wondered if I would actually like getting one. You see, I like to plan my meals and with a "mystery box" of veggies and fruit each week it kind of messes up my meal planning.

They are part of Morningsong Farm, located in San Diego county. It is a fully sustainable, organic farm which I really like. It is $44.50 for a large box and $34.50 for a small box. They deliver to Temecula, and various locations in San Diego and Orange counties. Want to find out more about a CSA in your area, here is a link to various CSAs across the country. Here is what I got in the large box this week {more than a weeks worth of veggies}.

- Beets {6}
-Zucchini {6}
- Tomatoes {5}
- Sprouts {1 pkg}
- Lettuce {1 head butter lettuce}
-Mixed Greens {one lg. zip lock bag}
- Dandelion Greens {two large bunches}
-Limes {7}
-Peppers {6}
- Parsley {1 bunch}
- Purslane {1 pkg}

Look how yummy this stuff looks:


There was only one item I had never heard of, purslane. It is commonly found in salads. Here are some of the health benefits:
  • Fresh leaves contain surprisingly more Omega-3 fatty acids (α-linolenic acid) than any other leafy vegetable plant. 100 grams of fresh purslane leaves provides about 350 mg of α-linolenic acid. Research studies shows that consumption of foods rich in ω-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, stroke, and help prevent development of ADHD, autism, and other developmental differences in children.

  • It is an excellent source of Vitamin A, (1320 IU/100 g, provides 44% of RDA) one of the highest among green leafy vegetables. Vitamin A is a known powerful natural antioxidant and is essential for vision. This vitamin is also required to maintain healthy mucus membranes and skin. Consumption of natural vegetables and fruits rich in vitamin A is known to help to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.

  • Purslane is also a rich source of vitamin C, and some B-complex vitamins like riboflavin, niacin, pyridoxine and carotenoids, as well as dietary minerals, such as iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and manganese.

    I'll be adding this to our nightly salad.


    The only other item that I hadn't really cooked with were the dandelion greens. Off to search for some recipes!



1 comment:

Mrs Desh said...

Allison! This is such a great find and you're going to find so many great recipes, I'm sure. I've never heard of CSA but I'm definitely going to be looking into it. I'm more motivated to get Noah (and us) eating unprocessed foods since he is just getting over a horrible stomach thing related I THINK to the carrageenan in his organic almond milk. I'm slowly learning that even "organic" products can be harmful and its just better if I make stuff myself. Going to take a while to get there, but having fresh produce delivered to my door would certainly help! Thanks for the info!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...